Several parking and traffic closures will occur on the Fairfax Campus from Aug. 17–21 to accommodate the move-in of nearly 6,000 residential students.
Traffic impacts will occur around campus, particularly near Braddock Road, Roanoke River Road, Lots J and K, and Rappahannock Deck. Continue reading for more details.
A successful move-in process is a university priority. Key units across the university work together to make the experience as efficient as possible. Your patience and cooperation are appreciated. Refer to the Fairfax Campus map for parking lot and road locations.
Thank you for your cooperation as we welcome our resident students to campus for the new academic year—especially our freshmen and their families, who are now part of the Mason family.
Parking Closures and Impacts
- Lots J and K will be used by students and families checking in for move-in at the Ángel Cabrera Global Center and for post move-in parking.
- Rappahannock Deck: General permit area on Levels 1–3 (including faculty/staff general area on Level 3) will be closed to all but move-in traffic from Wednesday, Aug. 17, through Sunday, Aug. 21, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. Reserved permit holders may park on reserved Levels 3–5. General faculty/staff permit holders may park on the roof ONLY from Wednesday, Aug. 17 through Sunday, Aug. 21. Student General permit holders should use other General parking areas such as Lots A, C, L, and K.
- The reserved levels will only be accessible via the University Drive entrance on Level 2. The Patriot Circle permit entrance and exit will be closed Aug. 17–21. The reserved level gates will be open to accommodate families and students moving into the residence halls.
- Lot I: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Friday, Aug. 19, at 11 p.m. to Saturday, Aug. 20, at 6 p.m.
- Lot R: Closed to all but move-in traffic from Tuesday, Aug. 16, at 11 p.m. until Saturday, Aug. 20, at 6 p.m.
- Short-Term Lots: Washington Lot near Presidents Park (off Shenandoah River Lane) will be closed from Tuesday, Aug. 16, at 11 p.m. to Thursday, Aug. 18, at 6 p.m. The short-term parking lot by Eastern Shore will only be available to move-in traffic with disabled permits from Wednesday, Aug. 17, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 21, at 5 p.m.
- Merten Lot will be used for oversized vehicles for move-in that cannot fit inside Rappahannock Deck.
Traffic Closures and Impacts
- As all resident students must check in at the Ángel Cabrera Global Center, expect heavy traffic on Braddock Road, Roanoke River Road, and on Patriot Circle around Lots J and K.
- Expect heavy traffic approaching the housing move-in areas around Rappahannock Deck and Presidents Park.
- Patriot Circle (in front of the Rappahannock Deck) will be closed to all traffic from Wednesday, Aug. 17, until Sunday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m. Access to the visitor section of the deck will be available via Rappahannock River Lane and Patriot Circle.
- University Drive: Expect heavy traffic between George Mason Blvd and Rappahannock Deck.
- Chesapeake River Lane will be closed to all traffic except commercial deliveries and disabled parking from Wednesday, Aug. 17, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m.
- Rivanna River Lane will be closed to all but service and delivery vehicles and disabled parking from Wednesday, Aug. 17, at 6 a.m. until Sunday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m.